WordPress is a tried and tested WordPress “content management system” (CMS). WordPress is the system behind at least 30% of the world’s websites.
You’re not “locked in” with a developer using their own “proprietary” system or one that is not well maintained. This makes it costly both in terms of time and money to change developer or designer. It might mean having to spend hours copying of content and downloading images.
The Genesis Framework
The framework provides a solid foundation for your website.
- It is secure because it follows all WordPress best practices.
- Lightweight code so your site loads fast.
- SEO optimised, responsive for mobile “out of the box”.
- Clean, optimised coded, for the best performance. It’s built on HTML5.
StudioPress describe it like this:
“WordPress as the engine of your car, Genesis as the body and frame with the theme as the paint job.”
Why use WordPress rather than a site builder like Wix?
- Cost: don’t let them fool you! Yes, there’s a free plan but with loads of catches.
- Wix adverts on your site.
- To go “ad free” requires upgrade to Euro 10,50 / month. E-Commerce starts at Euro 20,00 / month.
- SEO – Wix free plans don’t allow you to use your own custom domain which makes it hard to rank in search engines.
- Images are given an automatic name – good SEO practice is to give images names that reflect what they’re about.
- URLs can not be fully customised; another SEO issue.
- Very difficult to “scale up” if you decide you need new features or want to really customise your site.
- Portability – if you decide to move off the Wix platform it is not easy. All your posts can only be exported in XML format. You will have to manually transfer pages, images, videos and other content.
If you’re serious about your website use WordPress.